Tuesday, November 17, 2009

And all this science....I don't understand....

Well, since I'm here already, I might as well just get on with it...

Since my blog is indeed called, "Frazier Approved", I figured my first legitimate non-introductory post should be about something I truly, madly, and most certainly deeply approve of.  And no, it's not Savage Garden...though I bet you wish it was...

I want to stand with you on a mountain.
I want to bathe with you in the sea.
I want to lay like this forever.
Until the sky falls down on me...


Is this song for real???...You know, if this were any other post, I'd totally link to that video right now, but I just can't bring myself to do it here...  I have standards!

So anyway, about a month ago I was introduced to what was maybe one of the greatest moments of the 20th century.  I mean, it's right there with the time Jessie Spano broke down from her addiction to caffeine pills or the first time Hanson performed "Mmmm Bop" to a live audience....  But seriously, my friend(s)...this moment I speak so highly of is William Shatner's performance of Elton John's 'Rocket Man' at the 1978 Science Fiction Film Awards.  I'm not really sure how it took me 27 years to finally discover this masterpiece...I have to admit I'm usually at the forefront of what's "cool" and "awesome"...but this somehow slipped through the cracks and no one was kind enough to send it my way until now.  So before I say anything more, I'm going to go ahead and let you see for yourself....though you've probably already seen it...cause you're clearly much cooler than me...


The goodness starts just after the 50 second mark...


Amazing, right?  Now watch it again!  I think I've seen it at least 137 times in the past month...I just can't get enough.  I even downloaded an mp3 of it, and play it on repeat when I sleep........not really...but maybe...  Regardless, Shatner just KILLS it.  The entire verse starting at 2:50 is easily my favorite part... his facial expressions and pauses are just...perfect!  There's so many little nuances you don't catch the first time through...I can't help but wonder if it was extremely rehearsed or if Shatner just rocked it out in a couple tries.  Ultimately, I don't know how this came about or what the inspiration was, and I'm not sure the audience really knew what was going on, but I'm so happy that it exists because it brings a HUGE smile to my face.

I know that Family Guy parodied this some time ago, and if I watched that show (which is a whole other post, for a whole other time), I would definitely have come across it sooner, but alas, I have it now.  I have a really strong desire to get some people together and reenact this, but I know I'd totally botch it...

Ah, well....   so I guess William Shatner's rendition of 'Rocket Man' is certifiably "Frazier Approved".  Is that how this works?

Currently on my Winamp (suck it, iTunes!): Elton John - Rocket Man
(you gotta switch back to the original every once in a while)

No comments:

Post a Comment