Tuesday, November 24, 2009

There were no special effects, no no special effects...

If you've seen the movie Once, you know who The Swell Season are.  If you haven't seen the movie Once, please go rent it now!  My love for this movie could be an entire essay on it's own, but it's a wonderful little Irish film about a Guy and a Girl who come together to record an album, and at the same are falling in love...at a rather inopportune time.  I know it sounds extremely sappy from that description, but really, it's not...giving good plot descriptions was never my strong suit...also it's 2AM...and I'm a little loopy...  But yeah, it's pretty much the last movie I can remember seeing where I immediately drove to a record store right after it finished to purchase the soundtrack.  Just great stuff.

Anyway, The Swell Season (the duo of the Guy and Girl in the movie) played The Wiltern this past week, and I seriously considered going...but in the end, I figured that since I'd seen them twice in the last two years, I could give it a pass.  It turned out to be a really poor move on my part, though, as I ended up missing a guest appearance by the one and only Jason Segal who sang this AWESOME little ditty...



When I saw them in Austin in November '07, however, I did get to witness this rather phenomenal, completely impromptu, cover of "Cry Me A River":


(1:08-1:22 is my favorite...but it's all generally fantastic)

Glen Hansard is most certainly Frazier Approved.

Currently on my Winamp (suck it, iTunes!): The Format - The Compromise

No comments:

Post a Comment